Tax-deductible overseas trips

January 4, 2016

tax-deductible overseas travel

Business owners and employees who travel internationally for business-related trips can claim travel expenses as a tax deduction.

If the overseas travel is for personal and business-related purposes, the business-related portion can be claimed as a deduction. The documentation required to be maintained, should show the distinction between personal and business-related activities. Any private expenses incurred must be excluded from your claim.

The purpose of the activity and connection to business must be recorded, as the ATO has strict requirements on what is classified as a travel-related expense. If your trip lasts more than six days, a travel diary must be kept to provide a detailed description of the times, dates, places, duration and the people that accompanied you on the trip. Written evidence, in the form of invoices and receipts, must be retained of the expenses incurred such as accommodation, transport, meals and so forth.

The ATO provides individuals travelling internationally with a reasonable travel allowance rate. This is the reasonable amount employees can claim on an expense for individual components such as accommodation, meals and incidentals, provided their employer pays a travel allowance to cover these costs. The rate is dependant on your salary and the countries you visit. .

For more information on tax deductions, contact us at Leenane Templeton on 02 4926 2300

Previous post:

Next post: